Sign in to follow this  
forst

Let's Talk About Land of the Lost

Five weeks ago a movie based on a popular television show opened in theaters. It was something of a revamped version of the original show and there were those who weren?t thrilled with its take on beloved characters. That movie was Star Trek (2009). Today another movie based on a popular television show makes its way to the big screen: Land of the Lost. It too has purists up in arms. The television series focused on the Marshall family (Rick, Will and Holly) and was a serious drama. The movie stars Will Ferrell and is a comedy.

But the similarities between the two franchises don?t end with disgruntled fans. Both Star Trek and Land of the Lost were originally broadcast on NBC; Star Trek ran from 1966 to 1969 in prime time and Land of the Lost from 1974 to 1977 on Saturday mornings. Several episodes of Land of the Lost were written by David Gerrold, who also wrote ?The Trouble with Tribbles? for Star Trek. Other Star Trek alum involved with Land of the Lost include D.C. Fontana and Walter Koenig.

Read the rest at Lower Decks.

There are LOTL purists? :lol:

I, too, was more familiar with the 90s remake. The Sci-Fi marathon last week was my first taste of the original series IIRC.

And whether it wanted to be or not, the original series was a comedy too. :P

Edited by Ducane

I'm also only familiar with the 90s version - I remember watching it, but I don't have any sort of fondness or connection with it. As for the new movie, I might watch it on cable...but I'm not super-excited about it. And I actually kinda like Well Ferrell.