Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

100 Days 100 Micros

Yesterday on my writing blog I started a new exercise to help get my creative juices flowing (and keep them flowing). Each day for the next 100 days, I am going to post a Micro fiction piece.

For those that may be asking, a Micro fiction piece is a story that is, ideally, 100 words in length. Some markets will accept stories up to 250 words, but much beyond that and the story becomes a Flash piece (less than 1000 words).

I'm going to re-post the stories each day here for...well, for the hell of it. I don't expect them to be that great, after all, this is an exercise. Since I started on May 1 (yesterday), I will post the first two stories today.

May 1, 2009

001/100 ?Dead-Light District? ? 100 words

As the taxi roars away, Sharon realizes it has deposited her five blocks from her destination. She rolls her eyes. Some cabbies refuse to get anywhere near this section of town, especially once darkness falls. She?s lucky tonight?s driver was willing to come this far.

Already her arrival has attracted unwanted attention. A few of the zombies that infest this area come shambling towards her out of the dark.

Reaching into her purse, she withdraws the handgun. Making sure it?s loaded, she begins her trek through the dirty streets.

The commute may suck, but at least her rent is cheap.

May 2, 2009

002/100 ?Late Night Surprise? - 100 words

Jake was stirred from his peaceful slumber by a car passing by outside, the insistent beat of the stereo raised far beyond polite levels for this hour.

?Thanks for ruining my dream,? he mumbled. Blinking, he gazed at the ceiling, noticing a strange shadow stretched across its white surface. Casting his eyes back and forth, he found nothing to account for its existence.

?What the hell?? He blinked again, realizing he could only see the odd shadow with his right eye.

That?s when the spider sitting over his eye sank its fangs into the moist flesh beneath its eight feet.

Edited by Shadow

May 3, 2009

003/100 "Mistaken Identity" - 100 words

It was only after twelve hours of orbital bombardment, which had vaporized over fifty major cities, that the alien fleet halted its attack on Earth.

We all climbed out of our hiding places and amidst the settling dust, listened as the invaders began broadcasting across the globe on every known frequency. In shock and anger we stared at each other as they apologized for the clerical error that led to their mistaken attack on our world.

To err is Human, someone once said, but to royally **** up on an interstellar scale is purely Hygorian, or so it would seem.

Edited by Shadow

How do you make these Shadow?

If you've reached your 100 words, but your sentence is not finished yet, you have to change your story no?

Or do you just rewrite the sentence?

When I have word limits, I just keep track of the words, and work my way out from there.

Yeah, sometimes keeping it within 100 words requires swapping certain words out for alternatives. Sometimes it means restructuring an entire sentence.

May 4, 2009

004/100 ?Tomb Raiders? - 100 words

Davis pushes the sarcophagus lid aside, revealing the lone occupant. ?Read the passage,? he says.

Miles opens the ancient tome and in the lost tongue of kings, recites the resurrection invocation. With a dry snap, the withered mummy climbs from its resting place.

?It worked!? Davis cries, as the mummy lurches forward. ?Read the next part.?

Miles consults the book then says, ?Go, great prince and retrieve the treasure that rightfully belongs to you.?

?Be ready to follow him,? Davis says.

The mummy suddenly springs forwards, grabs the book from Miles and in the lost tongue of kings, says, ?Mine.?

May 5, 2009

005/100 ?The Customer? - 100 words

The sign read Mojo?s Magical Emporium. I opened the door and entered, finding it empty except for a short man behind the counter.

?Can I help you?? he asked.

?I have a problem,? I said.

?Well, you?ve come to the right place! What might it be? Werewolf? Vampire? Mummy? I carry an assortment of silver bullets, wooden stakes and fresh tanna leaves. What will it be??

?None of those.?

?Is it a demon??

?No.?

?Ghouls? Fairies??

I shook my head.

?Then, just what is your problem??

?I?m short on cash.? Producing my gun, I shot him before emptying the till.

Yeah, sometimes keeping it within 100 words requires swapping certain words out for alternatives. Sometimes it means restructuring an entire sentence.

May 4, 2009

004/100 ?Tomb Raiders? - 100 words

Davis pushes the sarcophagus lid aside, revealing the lone occupant. ?Read the passage,? he says.

Miles opens the ancient tome and in the lost tongue of kings, recites the resurrection invocation. With a dry snap, the withered mummy climbs from its resting place.

?It worked!? Davis cries, as the mummy lurches forward. ?Read the next part.?

Miles consults the book then says, ?Go, great prince and retrieve the treasure that rightfully belongs to you.?

?Be ready to follow him,? Davis says.

The mummy suddenly springs forwards, grabs the book from Miles and in the lost tongue of kings, says, ?Mine.?

I get the image of a petulant mummy going "Wah! Mine!"

May 6, 2009

006/100 ?The New House? - 100 words

Taking a break from unpacking, Sara was feeding the baby when the front door opened, the twins barreling into the house.

?How was the first day in the new school?? she asked.

?The kids told us that our house was haunted!? Sally exclaimed.

?Yeah,? Tommy agreed. ?They said that ghosts possess people here and make them do bad things. That?s not true, is it??

Sara smiled. ?Of course not. Don?t let those kids get to you. Those are all just stories.?

The baby?s eyes suddenly glowed red. ?I wouldn?t be so sure about that,? she said in a menacing baritone.