Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

YouTube embed in thread posts?

I've seen on other boards the ability to embed YouTube clips right into the thread posts. I was wondering if it could be done here. There should be a way to keep them out of sigs to prevent forum clutter, but since so many people use YouTube in posts I think it would be a cool way to spice things up. :D

This thread discusses embedding YouTube videos in a post. The best option seems to be a custom BBCode, an example of which is given. It really is odd that the Invision folks haven't built this into their base software, not that we're running the latest and greatest anyway.

Oops, sorry. I posted in the Ready Room but forgot to here. I found some code to add into the forum CP, but I couldn't find the field they were talking about , so I just left it up to more capable hands.

From what I have been told by some guys who run WoW guild sites, Invisionboard isn't as good as it once was. A whole back I did some work on a phpBB board and it was lots easy to work with and hack and skin. But yea a simple hack should add it.

Thanks for looking into the issue :D

Edited by Digitalfreak?

Hi Digitalfreak. This query has been referred to me and I'll try and look into a secure and safe way of doing it sometime this weekend. :)

Ok, I've set this up for you. To embed a video you need to use the new "youtube" tag with the ID of the video, e.g. you type

[youtube]puXPozd-kuc[/youtube]

to obtain

puXPozd-kuc

You can get the ID of the video from the URL (web address) in YouTube - it's the bit that follows the "v=".

If there's sufficient interest in this, I might look for a way of making it more intuitive (e.g. putting the whole URL between the tags).

Any problems, let me know. :angel: