• Epiphany
    • Mosaic/VMS Mosaic
    • Flock
    • K-Meleon
    • Camino
    • OmniWeb
    • iCab
    • Other

We've already done this poll but it was over five years ago and I think the internet has changed a little since then. :shadow:

Or has it?

Some of those are more appropriately shells as opposed to true browsers in their own right, or are close enough derivatives of another browser I would barely count them as a seperate one. That said though, some of them I'm surprised are even still in existance (and a few I'm sure no longer are). I've used almost all of them too at some point in their history and most just didn't/still do not impress me.

I'll make a "wild" prediction and say Firefox tops the list followed by either IE then either Opera or Safari.

And because I have nothing else to do (WoW is down for patch upgrade) I'll list all the ones I have used.

Firefox (1.x-current 3.x)

IE (2.x-current beta)

Safari

Netscape (1.x-4.x)

Opera

Chrome

K-Meleon

SeaMonkey

Avant

Konqueror

Mosaic

Other (long list of clone browsers that just don't deserve their own mention)

I'm voting "other" because there's a large number of browsers that I really like - Firefox, Konqueror, anything that uses WebKit...

I actually wrote a 2-minute "web browser" a day or two ago using WebKit from Qt, just to test out QtCreator. It's fun watching something you slapped together for fun go 98/100 on the acid3 test! :)

lol, yea I'm bored from WoW being down too :)

Right now it's Firefox for me, but I've got Google Chrome on a test computer and it's quickly gaining respect from me. Only thing I absolutely hate about Firefox is the looong load time when you first open it after a cold boot. And I've tried this on all kinds of machines, P3, P4, Dual and Quad Core, 512mb RAM up to 8GB and it's still the same.

Edited by Digitalfreak?

Firefox's long boot up time is why I always keep it running now as opposed to closing it even when I'm not using it. I occasionally do close it to get a "fresh" browser but for the most part it's running 24/7 with my computer.

I like Chrome okay but it's still playing third banana to Firefox and IE for me and IE is only used to keep my spare gmail account details so I don't have to constantly switch addresses in Firefox. I use IE for MS updates and a few other things that IE does better than Firefox (le; not much).

Firefox for me, I used to use IE until fairly recently when I decided to switch to Firefox and I don't regret doing it.

All Firefox, all the time. I also have Internet Explorer on my computer for the few cases when a site does not work correctly in Firefox. I have also used Netscape in the past.

I used Netscape when I first went online. Then I switched to IE. A few years back I changed again to Firefox. I'm very happy with it.

Only use FF.

And the only downside for me is what DF said, it takes a long time to boot. So I hope they fix that with FF 4.0 :D

Hmm, yeah already the results are quite different from a few years ago. IE was still by far in the lead back then. :D

That said though, some of them I'm surprised are even still in existance (and a few I'm sure no longer are).

I put them there anyway; I'm sure there are other nostalgic geeks out there like me who use old software just for the fun of it. :P

That being said, my choice is Firefox as well. Although it's not the only browser I use, it is the one I use the most often. It's what I generally use on a regular day in Linux, and it's also normally the first thing I download if I'm working on a Windows installation. On a Mac, Firefox is also my browser of choice, because I have found some web software (such as Zimbra) to work noticeably better in Firefox than in Safari (or at least those versions of Safari installed at the time.)

Edited by Ducane

I don't care what others say, I have been a proud IE user since I first came on the internet. I've so far had no issues with it at all, and due to that, will continue doing just that, prefer IE :P:D

Thing about IE is that it has too many security holes. And only after someone finds them is when Micro$oft decides to patch it. I do a lot of business and shopping online and I do not want some hacker somewhere to access my credit card numbers or anything else.

I've actually gotten around those security holes by being rather careful, have a good firewall and antispyware software up and running. I'm very paranoid about hackers and viruses myself. But so far I have managed to live comfortably with IE without a hitch.

To each to his/her own Mr DF :D

Edited by Askre

I've started really using Google Chrome and I'm getting more impressed with it. I'm testing it on the following machine:

Dell Dimension 4100

Pentium III 1Ghz processor

512MB SDRAM

NVIDIA GeForce 3 Ti 200 video card

Windows XP Professional

Even on this ancient machine (I'm posting with it now) it's running faster than Firefox on my Quad Core Dell. Totally cool :rolleyes: