Sign in to follow this  
forst

Should Terminator Get a Third Season?

It is too bad the 'illegal' downloading methods don't somehow factor in here. I know they can't really support this method, but a lot of these shows (TTSCC, Heroes, 24, Lost..) are huge picks for those doing this type of downloading.

It wouldn't really make sense if they counted it. Maybe if their main source of revenue was product placement, but if people aren't viewing the commercials, in a network's eyes they might as well have not seen the show at all. If people aren't tuning into the station, they're not making money.

But does anyone actually watch commercials? I always change the channel and flip it back when it's over

I think advertisers have to assume that you'll watch some commercials. Otherwise, why would they pay?

And if advertisers care, then networks do.

Edited by Quinn

I think advertisers have to assume that you'll watch some commercials. Otherwise, why would they pay?

And if advertisers care, then networks do.

It is just sad that the popularity or at least the 'chance to continue' of a Television series is rated & based on the assumption people are viewing the commercials that air while the show is playing.

Yeah, it's a shame. Whether a show should continue or not should be based on the story and the quality of the series.

But I stopped believing in fairytales a long time ago. All that matters is making money

TVShowsOnDVD.com has posted an interesting analysis about DVR ratings that includes information on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, specifically the March 27th, 2009 episode ("To the Lighthouse").

In terms of total viewers, the episode had 3.242 million viewers watching LIVE, 3.881 million watching LIVE+SD (3AM to 3AM) and 4.714 million viewers watching LIVE+7 (within a week of broadcast). Overall, 1.472 million people watched the episode on their DVR. But that only equated to a rise from 68th in LIVE+SD to 66th in LIVE+7.

66 TERMINATOR: SRH CNR CHRON FOX 8:00 PM 3,242 3,881 4,714 1,472 68

In terms of A18-49, on a purely LIVE basis the episode had 1.0 Nielsen rating. That increased to a 1.29 rating with LIVE+SD and a 1.74 with LIVE+7, raising the episode from 69th overall to 63rd.

63 TERMINATOR: SRH CNR CHRON FOX 8:00 PM 1.00 1.29 1.74 69

Those numbers simply do not justify renewal. Supernanny (which airs opposite Dollhouse) easily outperforms both FOX shows on Fridays. During the first half of the season when FOX had Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? from 8-9PM it also outperformed Terminator: TSCC.

The first nine episodes of Fifth Grader averaged 5.881 viewers and a 1.375 A18-49 rating in LIVE+SD. The nine episodes of Terminator: TSCC that were shown on Friday averaged 3.543 million viewers and a 1.26 A18-49 rating in LIVE+SD. Fifth Grader has to be much cheaper to produce than Terminator: TSCC.

The show did quite a bit better in its Monday time slot, averaging roughly a 2.0 A18-49 rating and 5.3 million viewers, so perhaps FOX will take that into consideration. But even that was a mediocre performance.

Just about everyone knows they put T:SCC on Fridays so they can cancel it "justifably" seeing as the ratings plummted when they moved it.

Well the producers are maintaining that the show has not been cancelled yet, and that Ausillio is incorrect. I still think FOX will want to try to take some of the success of the new Terminator movie. Even if it's a Jericho-like 7-13 episode order.

And I'd take that - but I hope, if it is getting cancelled, the producers are being given enough time to shop the show before they lose their cast/crew.

I think FOX is one of those networks that, even though they're no longer willing to produce a show, still don't want to allow another network to pick it up. I think they're just a little paranoid that they might be held accountable should the move turn out to be successful. Plus, there might be sketchy trouble with licensing and copyright, or DVD sales. It's probably a combination of spite and butt-covering.

Not to mention that shows simply do not switch networks all that often. It is tough to pull off. Can you think of any network or cable channel that would want to pick up a show that a) is really expensive and b) has lost so much of its audience?

On a ratings basis, from everything I have seen, there is no reason the show should be renewed. Now I admit to not being the biggest fan but after the last few episodes of Season Two I would like to see a Season Three, even a short one. I just do not think it is going to happen. Come the middle of May, we should know one way or the other.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Buffy and Scrubs.

EDIT: Yeah, it's very rare... I think it was when there was talk about Firefly possibly getting picked up elsewhere. Joss Whedon said there was a some possible interest from other networks, but that FOX was basically stonewalling and blocking all attempts.

* Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2001 on WB; 2001-2003 on UPN)

* Diff'rent Strokes (1978-1985 on NBC; 1985-1986 on ABC)

* Family Matters (1989-1997 on ABC; 1997-1998 on CBS)

* Grounded for Life (2001-2002 on FOX; 2002-present on WB)

* The Edge of Night (1956-1975 on CBS; 1975-1984 on ABC)

* The Naked Truth (1995-1996 on ABC; 1997-98 on NBC)

* Rocky and His Friends (1959-1961 on ABC; essentially the same show aired as The Bullwinkle Show, 1961-1964 on NBC; in 1964 it moved back to ABC and was cancelled that same year)

* Roswell (1999-2001 on WB; 2001-2002 on UPN)

* Search for Tomorrow (1951-1982 on CBS; 1982-1986 on NBC)

* Step by Step (1991-1997 on ABC; 1997-1998 on CBS)

* Taxi (1978-1982 on ABC; 1982-1983 on NBC)

* TV Nation (1994 on NBC; 1995 on FOX)

* The Wonderful World of Disney (1954-1961, 1986-1988, and 1997-present on ABC, 1961-1981 and 1988-1990 on NBC, 1981-1983 on CBS) (under various titles, the format remained basically the same throughout)

Edited by Morbo

Probably isn't going to mean much to FOX, but after 100 votes, 87% of people voted that Terminator should get a third season.