Sign in to follow this  
forst

Should Terminator Get a Third Season?

Join Lower Decks as two of our writers tackle the question of whether FOX?s Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles should be renewed for a third season. They?ll each present their cases and then open the floor to comments. Read the commentary here.

I'm really hoping this stirs up some commentary - this is a show that seems to have a lot of interest - both negatively and positively. So if you've watch the show or not, comment (hopefully on the main site) on why you watch...why you don't watch...why you stopped watching...or why you'd consider starting to watch based on either side of the argument. No comment is a bad one! :wha:

I'm going to side with FORST on this one.

That said, I actually hope I am wrong and the series does get renewed with the direction, writing, characterization, (etc.) of the show improving ten fold. For every good episode, there is three bad ones. They have currently squandered two seasons of potential giving us only slight glimmers of greatness. They do not deserve a third season.

I've never seen it, nor have I ever felt the urge to. For me the only compelling reason to would be that I love Summer Glau, but that's not really ENOUGH of one. I'm still not entirely sure what makes it different than a stripped down T2 movie every week, so I'll blame the marketing. The fact that I've not bothered to even look up what it's about is a good gauge of my level of interest.

I have to disagree with Omega (obviously) - I think the writing and acting are amazing. And Morbo, I'd say it's a lot more well-done than T2, and in two seasons, there haven't been 1/10th as many bullets as there are in the movie. Its a lot closer to a drama than an action show.

I have never actually seen T2 all the way through but I really do not think you can compare the series to any of the movies. Maybe the pilot was a stripped down version of T2 but the series is not, as many probably expected, a terminator chasing John and Sarah each week. If it was, I bet it would do a little better in the ratings to be quite honest.

I'm not really comparing the two, but I'm just saying that as someone who's only seen the show really advertised in print, all I know is that there's a female Terminator protecting John Connors from, I'm assuming here, another Terminator. To an outside viewer like me, that's the exact plot to T2 (incidentally, the only Terminator movie I've seen). That just doesn't sound interesting to me, and FOX isn't really going out of its way to educate me. There's just no reason for me to tune into a show I don't really know anything about. Like Prison Break, it sounded like a really limited premise for a show, something that would get old and boring fast.

I'm not saying they're not promoting the hell out of it on FOX in commercials more accurately, I don't know, but it's not during the shows I watch on the channel.

Just giving my objective opinion based on Quinn's first post :)

Edited by Morbo

What you've hit is the #1 reason why this show is struggling to find an audience. I think Morbo represents 99% of people out there, and I think his expectations are dead-on what people thought. I think a lot of people tuned in hoping for a TV-version of T2, and I thought a lot of people, like Morbo, stayed away because they didn't want to see something like that.

When, in reality, the show was nothing like those expectations.

But how do you tell people that? You can't put in your commercials that it's "more intelligent than you think/thought" or something like that. It almost has to be through reviews and word-of-mouth, and I just don't think there's enough of that out there to make a big difference. Because I'm betting the action junkies tuned in and then tuned out because it was "boring." And the people who'd really like it never tuned in in the first place.

Edited by Quinn

That's exactly the situation Battlestar was in. Word of mouth was a HUGE part of why it had such praise and acclaim by not just sci-fi fans, but people who'd never seen sci-fi before, as well as the main stream press. It was a critical darling, and never once had to run a commercial saying "we're really nothing like that series you may or may not remember from the 80s".

I don't know, SCC is just in a tight spot that can only be solved by PR and marketing. I don't know, run some commercials explaining what's been going on during the season, make it snappy, help people see what the show is dealing with. Alias, with its hugely complicated storylines and season arcs, did these type of ads all the time. Granted, I don't think they really WORKED, but at least it probably didn't HURT.

Edited by Morbo

I'm with Quinn on this one. The acting and the writing are more than okay. If you've seen the season finale you would agree. Sure the show has some mediocre eps, but which show hasn't?

With this season finale they better give us a third season. The story is finaly going somewhere.

From what I've heard of the fourth movie, it sounds like they are somehow building the starting point for the movie. Isn't a cyborg gonna help Bale in the movie to fight Skynet? And isn't that what Weaver want for John Henry?

I have to disagree with Omega (obviously) - I think the writing and acting are amazing. And Morbo, I'd say it's a lot more well-done than T2, and in two seasons, there haven't been 1/10th as many bullets as there are in the movie. Its a lot closer to a drama than an action show.

I wish I would have held off until after viewing the Season 2 finale. The final episode was amazing and if they can keep up with that level of story telling, I think it would do much better. I'm hoping a the networks take a chance on this and push for a third season.

The story is finaly going somewhere.

From what I've heard of the fourth movie, it sounds like they are somehow building the starting point for the movie.

I thought the movie and the show were two separate continuities, due to infighting between producers.

I actually heard the opposite - that the show's producers are willing to build a bridge between the movie and the series. Based on the finale, I'm not sure where/what that bridge would be...but I did hear that.

I was already hoping for a third season but after seeing the finale there is no doubt this series is going in a much different and potentially better direction. You don't end a series on that kind of cliffhanger.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more on this. Simply rumors.

I've heard it is going to be based on the ratings of the final episode with a combination of Fox.com and Hulu viewings. Has anyone seen these ratings?

Yeah, I figured it'd be cancelled by now if that was the decision. Get as many viewers for the finale and then can it.

Guess not...at least not yet.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more on this. Simply rumors.

I've heard it is going to be based on the ratings of the final episode with a combination of Fox.com and Hulu viewings. Has anyone seen these ratings?

Those numbers are actually not released on a regular basis. NBC has something it calls TAMI (Total Audience Measurement Index) that counts Internet streaming and video-on-demand and such. But that only covers NBC programs.

DVR viewing might be the only thing that helps Terminator: TSCC get a third season.

Yeah, I figured it'd be cancelled by now if that was the decision. Get as many viewers for the finale and then can it.

Guess not...at least not yet.

Even if FOX has decided to cancel the show, it would most likely not announce it until May, although word might leak out earlier.

Edited by forst

The DVR stuff has to be because of Friday nights. Heck, I didn't even watch it live until the final two episodes of the season.

They only count DVR viewings if it's within 24 hours of broadcast though, which I think is very arbitrary. I think giving the audience at least a week to watch is generous enough to the advertisers to say they got their money's worth.

They only count DVR viewings if it's within 24 hours of broadcast though, which I think is very arbitrary. I think giving the audience at least a week to watch is generous enough to the advertisers to say they got their money's worth.

There is actually a Live+7 Day rating. From TVByTheNumbers:

DVR (Time-shifted) Viewing ? Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data ?Live, Live+Same Day (Live+SD) and Live+7 Day. Time shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs which are currently in approximately 24.4% of all U.S. TV households. Live+Same Day(Live+SD) include viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3:00AM local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live+7 Day ratings include incremental viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

There is also a Live+3 Day but only for local programming, I think.

It is too bad the 'illegal' downloading methods don't somehow factor in here. I know they can't really support this method, but a lot of these shows (TTSCC, Heroes, 24, Lost..) are huge picks for those doing this type of downloading.

It is too bad the 'illegal' downloading methods don't somehow factor in here. I know they can't really support this method, but a lot of these shows (TTSCC, Heroes, 24, Lost..) are huge picks for those doing this type of downloading.

It wouldn't really make sense if they counted it. Maybe if their main source of revenue was product placement, but if people aren't viewing the commercials, in a network's eyes they might as well have not seen the show at all. If people aren't tuning into the station, they're not making money.