Sign in to follow this  
forst

Review the Last TV Show You Saw

If you want to just list the shows you have seen, take that to The Bronze (and yes, I do plan on tracking my 2009 viewing but I have not had the time to sit down and work on it). This is a place for reviewing and discussing television that does not fit anywhere else. We have specific forums for some shows (Lost, Battlestar Galactica) and threads for many others (How I Met Your Mother, 24).

Deadwood

I recently borrowed the first season of HBO's Deadwood. Having had little experience with premium cable fare, aside from one episode of Sex in the City and four or five episodes of Dexter, I was not sure what I was in for. I knew a little about the series but not enough to form an opinion. After watching the first two episodes my first reaction was that there was way, way, way too much swearing. But then I settled in and really enjoyed the next ten episodes.

There is such depth in this show and the characters seem so real, so vivid, so distinct. And it is not long anything I have seen on television before. And nothing like other westerns. I have the second season sitting next to me but have not had the time to watch them. Hopefully I can get through some this weekend.

The Mentalist

This is a delightful show with a terrific lead (Simon Baker as Patrick Jane) and a great supporting cast (especially Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman). The episodes are more or less by the numbers cop stories with Patrick Jane's unique view of things added to the mix. It is a lot of fun.

Ghost Whisperer

I haven't been fond of the direction the show has taken this year with Melinda and her dead/alive husband. The will they/won't they dynamic just seems over done. I did get a kick out of tonight's ghost hunters/ghostbusters storyline and Jamie Kennedy hasn't been anywhere near as annoying as I thought he'd be.

Ghost Whisperer

I haven't been fond of the direction the show has taken this year with Melinda and her dead/alive husband. The will they/won't they dynamic just seems over done. I did get a kick out of tonight's ghost hunters/ghostbusters storyline and Jamie Kennedy hasn't been anywhere near as annoying as I thought he'd be.

I agree, last night's episode was pretty good.

Friday Night Lights

This show is so very underrated. Even in its third season it is one of the best shows on television. The characters are some of the most realistic I have ever seen in a television show and the stories are rarely cliched or dull or anything but excellent. Too bad it stands little chance of returning for a fourth season.

Deadwood

I finished the last episode of the series yesterday and I am still frustrated that it ended without a sufficient conclusion. Supposedly two made-for-TV movies were ordered by HBO but they were eventually dropped. It is apparently a whole big mess. Ah, well. I am glad I watched it. After getting used to the language, I really fell in love with the characters. The first season is probably my favorite, then the second and finally the third, which had some real problems. Over all, it was great.

Has anyone been watching the ABC version of Life on Mars? The series finale just ended on the East Coast and I am not at all sure how I feel about it. I will say it was an interesting conclusion. I am also enjoying a few new shows, including Kings on NBC and Castle on ABC, plus the return of My Boys on TBS and Greek on ABC Family. New shows I sampled but did not like are Lie to Me on FOX, Trust Me on TNT, and In the Motherhood and the new version of Cupid, both on ABC.

I have also managed to watch all but one episode of The A-Team that I had not seen on television thanks to Hulu and I started watching The Prisoner at AMC's website.

So much television, so little time.

Edited by forst

Friday Night Lights

This show is so very underrated. Even in its third season it is one of the best shows on television. The characters are some of the most realistic I have ever seen in a television show and the stories are rarely cliched or dull or anything but excellent. Too bad it stands little chance of returning for a fourth season.

I agree.

I love Friday Night Lights.

Friday Night Lights

I agree.

I love Friday Night Lights.

I was wrong about not getting a fourth season. Friday Night Lights has been renewed for a fourth and fifth season, both to be thirteen episodes each, co-produced with DirecTV. Read more here.

Also, this afternoon I finally saw the one episode of The A-Team that I had not seen. I have now seen all 98 episodes at least once and many twice. What a fun show.

The first season of The Wire is being stripped out on BBC2 (yes really!) and we are hooked. Just 5 more episodes to find out if they get Avon Barksdale, what happens to D'Angelo and if the Major gets his just desserts.

Anyone else seen this?

If people have been paying much attention to my Boo thread in the Bronze forum, you might have notice the sudden Monty Pythonesque humor there and this is the blame. Lately I have been watching the entire four seasons of Monty Python the TV series which I happen to own.

And honestly sometimes I don't realize it was made in the late 60's-early 70's. Though some of the humor is period specific, at other times, it could be slap stick humor right out of a modern TV show.

The first season and the first half of the second season are by far the best parts of it, the Pythons definetly feel fresh and energetic and the humor is just brilliant.

But it starts to feel a little more tired as the second season processes, and by the time of the third season I sort of started to understand why John Cleese quit the show after it and didn't return for teh fourth season.

Third and fourth season did have their funny moments, but it still nowhere close to the early beginnings of the show. Especially evident In my opinion in the fourth season, it was just so glaring that John Cleese wasn't part of the group, it just always felt like something was missing from the humor because of it.

So all in all Monty Python wasn't a bad TV series, definitely hilarious show that would still work showing today as much of the humor is timeless and relies more on the visual humor than necessarily that you know what is going on in the world.

So over all the show gets one :grr:

I used to watch Monty Python's Flying Circus all the time on PBS (public television here in the States) quite a few years ago. I have no idea which season I was watching or whether episodes from all seasons were mixed together. I do not remember not seeing John Cleese so maybe the last season was not included in the syndication package purchased by the PBS station I was watching. Since it was PBS, though, I am pretty sure there were no cuts for content. I seem to recall some light nudity and swearing. Fun stuff!

Anyway, has anyone seen Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire on Comedy Central? The first two episodes were shown last Thursday and the third episode is on tonight. It is a spoof of adventure shows like Xena and Hercules. I think there are six episodes total. It stars Sean Maguire (Off Centre, Meet the Spartans) as a Hercules-type trying to defeat the evil Chancellor Dongalor. Joining him are his girlfriend, Aneka, his "slave," Loquasto, a wizard, Zezelryck, and another guy he picked up along the way, Bruce. I find it hilarious.

I am also watching a lot of Scrubs and That '70s Show lately.

Want to hear something incredible? I have seen 417 episodes of Scrubs. There are only 166 (with three left to air). That means I have seen most episodes two or three times and a few four or five times (I have seen the pilot six times). What a great show. Endless rewatchability.

On the other hand, after sampling the first episode of Southland I have decided not to keep watching. The same goes for Sit Down, Shut Up on FOX. I am enjoying The Unusuals on ABC, though, and so far Parks & Recreation on NBC is amusing enough for me to keep watching. I have also dropped ABC's Samantha Who?, which is now on hiatus. NBC has pulled Kings until the summer, supposedly, which is too bad because I was really enjoying it.

Edited by forst

I am so sad that Scrubs ended-but-might-be-coming-back-differently. I have already seen the finale twice. It was just amazing. Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire ended its first and probably only season. Hilarious show. I also finished watching The Prisoner and found it interesting but not mind-blowingly so. Better Off Ted has been renewed for next season which is great because I love Andrea Anders. I saw my first episode of JAG in years last week; USA Network is showing it again and I just happened to stumble upon one I had not seen. Maybe I can catch up. I was really looking forward to the sneak preview of FOX's Glee and was not disappointed.

I've been going through old VHS tapes, recorded from as far back as the early 80s, and I've been transferring them to DVD and binning the old tapes. Hence, I have been looking at:

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

The Persuaders!

Thriller (Brian Clemens early 70s show)

Dr Who (Jon Pertwee)

Blake's 7

The Outer Limits (1963-1965 - one of the best SF shows EVER).

I have also become a fan of CSI (Vegas version).

I've been going through old VHS tapes, recorded from as far back as the early 80s, and I've been transferring them to DVD and binning the old tapes. Hence, I have been looking at:

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

The Persuaders!

Thriller (Brian Clemens early 70s show)

Dr Who (Jon Pertwee)

Blake's 7

The Outer Limits (1963-1965 - one of the best SF shows EVER).

I have also become a fan of CSI (Vegas version).

I watched the bulk of the original Outer Limits on Hulu last year. All of the first season and probably half of the second season. Some of the episodes were either slow getting going or simply fell flat but when they were good they were really good. Still, The Twilight Zone wins out in the end.

Yesterday I managed to finish watching Cleopatra 2525 all the way through. The first 22 episodes are available on Hulu, several of which I had not seen when the show was originally on the air. The last six, which were sixty minutes long, are not on Hulu but I have them on VHS. Poor quality but good enough. I had not seen any of these hour-long episodes before and though different from the half-hour episodes they worked for the most part. The final episode had a cliffhanger. I had no idea. An all out battle for the surface with the Baileys.

I've been going through old VHS tapes, recorded from as far back as the early 80s, and I've been transferring them to DVD and binning the old tapes.

Gah! That's what I've been doing. But for a local variety show called Hey Hey It's Saturday (1973-1999; 2010-? you know, the one that caused the 'so-called racist' uproar last year over a 'blackface' skit). The earliest we have on tape is from 1977 - the year I was born, but the bulk are from 1982, 83, 90, 91. Of course it helps when my partner's Dad was the Sound Effects man for most of the show's run :smoking:

I probably ought to transfer my tapes to DVD at some point. I never even thought of that...

I watched the final season of Seinfeld recently. There's a lot of classic material in that season, some of my favorite memories of the show. Including the final episode, which I always loved. Recently I also started rewatching the final season of Prison Break.

A show I don't nearly watch enough of is Community, a genius sitcom on NBC.

I watched the final season of Seinfeld recently. There's a lot of classic material in that season, some of my favorite memories of the show. Including the final episode, which I always loved.

I watch Seinfeld several times a week. I have never understood why so many people hate the finale. It was great. I did not watch the show when it was originally on, though, and maybe people who had been with it from the beginning were let down.

A show I don't nearly watch enough of is Community, a genius sitcom on NBC.

I love Community. The paintball episode is just spectacular.

The team-building boat episode, which also was the pottery episode, that has got to be an instant classic, at least for that show. Did I mention I love this show?

I have been watching a ton of Cheers over the past two months. I started watching it on Hallmark Channel during a marathon and just kept watching. Two weeks ago I discovered that all 11 seasons are available instantly through Netflix so now I am watching an episode every morning before work. It is really a great show. I have not decided whether I like the episodes with Diane better than the episodes with Rebecca, though.