Sign in to follow this  
forst

Review the Last Movie You Saw

There Will be Blood (2007)

I finally got a chance to watch this critically acclaimed movie and I was not disappointed. "There Will be Blood" is a dark and atmospheric movie, backed up by some first-rate acting (particularly from Day-Lewis who plays the villain-protagonist Daniel Plainview). Although "There Will be Blood" was over two hours long, it never felt boring or tiresome. A great movie, with a very fascinating main character.

Waterfront Lady (1935)

This was Ann Rutherford's first movie and she is one of my favorite actresses, so I was thrilled to be able to watch this for free at Archive.org. Although she receives top billing, she was not playing the main character. Weird. It is the story of a gambler (played by Frank Albertson) who, after taking the rap for his boss, hides out on a waterfront (you know, where boats tie up and there are little shacks and stuff) and meets Rutherford's character, Joan. A fun movie.

Heartbeat (1946)

This was a strange one. Ginger Rogers stars as a teenager (she was 35 at the time) who, after running away from a reform school, enrolls at a pickpocket school, gets caught and forced to pose as the niece of a government official to help him determine if his wife is cheating on him. Another government official falls in love with her, she falls in love with him, but then he finds out she is not who he thought she was and tries to help her by marrying her off to one of his friends so she does not have to go back to the reform school. Rogers really had no business playing a teenager (although she did a fine job in The Major and the Minor four years earlier) but she was still great in this.

Seven Were Saved (1947)

I read somewhere that this is a poor man's Lifeboat (directed by Alfred Hitchcock) but I have not seen that although I want to. A bunch of people on a plane crash in the ocean and have to survive on a lifeboat. Will they be rescued? And will the pilot in love with a nurse on the raft get back together with her?

The House Bunny (2008)

Anna Faris is hilarious. 'Nuff said.

A Swingin' Summer (1965)

This was a more serious version of the Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello beach party movies. It was difficult to tell all the male characters apart and there were a few too many story lines running at once. Raquel Welch had her first role as a straight-laced college student looking for a summer romance and uses psychology to try to convince one of the guys to fall in love with her. Lots of music (including the Righteous Brothers) and lots of dancing and a few fights.

Reform School Girl (1957)

I had no expectations when I started this but if I had they would have been exceeded and how. Gloria Castillo stars as an orphan living with her aunt who hates her and her husband who is a creep. She pals around with a bad crowd and is involved in a fatal car accident; she will not spill the beans on the driver and is sent to a reform school for girls. There is fighting, hair pulling, screaming, a stabbing with scissors, romance, dancing and more. Girls can be so vicious.

Get Smart (2008)

Anne Hathaway is amazing. 'Nuff said.

Star Trek (2009)

The Horror of Party Beach (1964)

This was just awful. Awful! Nothing redeeming about it whatsoever. Not even in a so-bad-it-becomes-good sort of way.

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Not as creepy as it could have been and probably a little on the long side but an interesting concept. Not very good acting, though.

My Dear Secretary (1949)

A screwball comedy that was right up my alley. Kirk Douglas was very funny, as was Laraine Day, but Keenan Wynn really ran away with this one.

The Horror of Party Beach (1964)

This was just awful. Awful! Nothing redeeming about it whatsoever. Not even in a so-bad-it-becomes-good sort of way.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The fish men that look like they're deep throating an entire package of hot dogs!

That film actually scared me somewhat when I was six/seven-ish. Of course I now own the DVD. I have a soft spot for the film, but it is pretty crappy.

Ok, my turn:

Twilight (2008)

Finally saw this one and it wasn't as bad as I feared, though not something that I'd be clamoring to see again. I think the only real reason I watched it is because Kristen Stewart is cute.

There Will be Blood (2007)

I finally got a chance to watch this critically acclaimed movie and I was not disappointed. "There Will be Blood" is a dark and atmospheric movie, backed up by some first-rate acting (particularly from Day-Lewis who plays the villain-protagonist Daniel Plainview). Although "There Will be Blood" was over two hours long, it never felt boring or tiresome. A great movie, with a very fascinating main character.

I've been fighting a deeply ambivalent attitude toward this one. When I first heard about it (before its release), I instantly became one of its biggest fans. But by the time I saw it, I noticed how heavily tilted it was on only one real aspect (beyond an encouraging but convincing foil in Paul Dano), Daniel Day-Lewis regurgitating his persona from Gangs of New York. Plainview is distinctive and memorable, but it's a truly overwhelming performance. There's literally nothing to support it, not even a story, so the whole weight of the technical achievements and Day-Lewis himself threatens to utterly collapse. I don't know if it truly does, but for this fault, I would never have lauded it so greatly in that awards season, let alone give the man an Oscar. Still, an undeniably compelling film that's difficult to entirely dismiss.

Edited by Waterloo

Terminator: Salvation. Probably the third best in the franchise. Definitely above the third movie but still behind the first and second (the second being one of the few sequels to surpass the original which itself was rather good). It's a nice start to a potential new trilogy of movies. Obviously this is more action than drama or story but there's enough of both story and drama that it's not one long action flick with no emotional or character development going on in it. Despite what McG is known for, he can get some good dramatic elements and story-telling in a movie.

The main draw for this is the future as we've always glimpsed it finally seen in its full dystopia and it does not disappoint. Everything has that appropriate feeling of being both technologically advanced and at the same time old and used with all kinds of throwback technology (electronics that would be considered dated even by today's standards still used in a much patched up and recobbled way) to the most latest and greatest advancements Skynet can come up with (well almost, we don't see further advanced tech like the T-1000 or T-X in this movie; those are still a few years away even by 2018, although there is a hint at what's to come).

The ending is naturally one left open to more which you can be certain of. Whether everyone makes it to the next movie is also left open to debate. It's entertaining but it probably won't win any Oscars for non-technical or special effects work despite some truly good acting (and at times hammy acting IMO but you can't get it all).

The Sting (1973)

Another movie has entered my personal pantheon and that movie is "The Sting". I can't seriously think of anything bad to say about this movie, so instead I intend to gush all over it. Robert Redford plays Johnny Hooker a small-time con-man in a partnership with Luther Coleman (Robert Earl Jones). One day, the pair manages to con some unwitting patsy out of 5000 bucks, not knowing that the money actually belonged to ruthless crime-lord Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw). In retalation, Lonnegan's henchmen kills Coleman, Johnny however, escapes and seeks out the help of Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) expert grifter and old-time friend of Coleman's. Together, the two decides to take their revenge on Lonnegan by conning him out of a fortune.

That's the basic plot of the film and it succeeds on all levels, it's funny, suspenseful and even has a neat little surprise or two (the hired killers identity, for example). The actors all do a good job with their characters, especially the three leads. I feel that Shaw deserves special attention here, his Lonnegan is one of the most menacing movie-villains I've seen, boiling with surpressed rage under the calm surface.

Finally, "The Sting" is also a movie that's pleasant to look at, with some great colors. I also liked the drawings that popped up every now and then to announce a new "chapter" of the movie.

Is this the best movie of the seventies? Not having seen all movies that came out that decade, I'm not sure, but it's definitely one of the best.

Hawk the Slayer (1980)

200px-Hawk-Slayer.jpg

When his evil older brother, Voltan (Jack Palance), kills their father and kidnaps a nun (Annette Crosbie), it's up to valiant warrior Hawk (John Terry) to stop him. Aided by an elf, a giant and a dwarf, Hawk sets out on a quest to find a magical sword before Voltan gets a hold of it. In a classic battle of good vs. evil, the brothers ultimately square off over the mystical weapon, which imbues its owner with "the Power."

Woot!!

Land of the Lost

Lil Q dragged me to see this and it was a waste of 93 minutes. There are some funny parts, but if you watch the trailer, you'll see most of them. The best part of the movie was the T-Rex. :rolleyes:

I love that one, too! Nearly saw it again last week, but decided just to stick with a showing of State of Play, in which Russell Crowe snuck in his pals Great Big Sea on the radio. I love that we both love the same band. :mymy: Good movie, too. :rolleyes:

Dorkness Rising

for anyone who has ever played role playing games, this movie is a must see. its a sequel to a homebrewed short film called The Gamers, which was OK, but nothing compared to Dorkness Rising. I can't seem to stop watching it.

Here are all the movies I have seen since I last posted in this thread. I will comment on some of the more notable ones:

Son of Godzilla

Bunny Lake is Missing

I had heard of this movie but knew nothing about it before sitting down to watch it. It was an interesting watch with an ending I did not see coming.

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth

He Walked By Night

Bachelor Flat

Groundhog Day

I finally got around to seeing this. It was hilarious.

Last Woman on Earth

Paul Blart, Mall Cop

I am a big fan of The King of Queens so seeing Kevin James on the big screen as a security guard was a hoot.

Panic in Year Zero

A Blueprint for Murder

California Dreaming

Nice scenery, nice music and Glynnis O'Connor! 'Nuff said.

The Lady Vanishes

Ghostbusters

Also finally got around to seeing this. Great movie.

And Now For Something Completely Different

Probably the weakest of the Monty Python films, but still quite funny in places.

Rings On Her Fingers

Sundown

Young and Innocent

Nancy Drew... Reporter

Hilariously awful.

The Manhattan Project

Better than I expected.

Bigger Than Life

Stripes

The best of the three "classic" Bill Murray movies I have seen thus far. Laugh out loud funny.

Corregidor

Suddenly

Moon Over Miami

Woman's World

Robot Apocalypse

So bad.

Incident in an Alley

Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number!

The Train

Strange Woman

Dishonored Lady

Fireball 500

Far too long. Should have been cut in half.

People are Funny

Bride Wars

Anne Hathaway!

Moulin Rouge

Third time seeing this. It had been a few years since I last watched and although I remembered the plot there were a lot of scenes and even some songs I had forgotten. One of my favorite movies.

Sergeant Dead Head

Passengers

Another Anne Hathaway movie with a twist. I thought it was interesting but not without its flaws.

Gas Pump Girls

So. Bad. The song that came out of nowhere was probably the best part simply for the cheese factor.

Dial M For Murder

Excellent movie with great performances from everyone involved (especially Ray Milland as the villain-protagonist, Tony Windice), delivered by that master of suspense: Alfred Hitchcock.

Here are the movies I have seen in the theater recently:

Inglorious Basterds

The first Quentin Tarantino movie I have seen. It was amusing but not spectacular.

Whiteout

Kate Beckinsale could not save this dreary crime drama.

Jennifer's Body

A flawed but somewhat amusing comedy/slasher film.

Paranormal Activity

Not nearly as terrifying as it is said to be.

The Road

The most depressing movie I have ever seen. And very little happens over the course of the two hours.

I also had a Netflix trial during October. Here are all the movies I watched, both online and via DVD:

Lifeboat

A lesser Hitchcock movie but still intriguing.

Cashback

Lots of nudity and an interesting premise.

13 Going on 30

Hilarious movie. Jennifer Garner was great.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

I have wanted to see this for years. It was worth the wait.

One Million Years B.C.

Only Raquel Welch and her fur bikini makes this worth watching.

Dial M For Murder

The last of the classic Hitchock films I needed to see. Right up there with Rear Window and Psycho.

P2

Trash. Enjoyable trash, but still trash.

Loving Annabelle

A decent little movie about a teacher who falls for her female student (who has fallen for her).

Predator

Ahhhhnold!

Prom Night (2009)

Lots of blood and little else.

She's All That

A decent teen flick.

Son of Kong

Much better than Son of Godzilla and better than 2005's version of King Kong.

The Princess Diaries

Anne Hathaway is adorable.

Aliens

Just as good as Alien, if not better.

How to Steal a Million

Two for the Road

Two enjoyable movies starring Audrey Hepburn.

Enemy Mine

Interesting movie.

Singin' in the Rain

So much fun.

Alien 3

Still a good movie but things are going downhill.

Predator 2

No Ahnoooold!

Blindness

Better than it should have been, really.

The Posideon Adventure (1976)

More trash. But enjoyable.

Ghostbusters 2

Not even close to the hilarious first movie.

Alien Resurrection

Unnecessary.

AVP: Alien vs. Predator

Probably better than the sequel but less violent.

The Omega Man

Mediocre.

Anaconda

In a word: stupid.

Short Circuit

Hilarious.

The Deadly Mantis

Not as good as I had hoped.

The Land Unknown

A decent "lost worlds" movie.

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

Sobering.

Van Helsing

Kate Beckinsale was good...

Caddyshack

Not enough Bill Murray.

Nothing But the Truth

Another Kate Beckinsale movie with a real shocker of an ending.

Short Circuit 2

Not quite as good as the first one.

Grease

Sadly, it was just too long and really dragged in the middle. I wanted to love it.

Porky's

Hilarious and trashy.

Cover Girl

A bit long but Rita Hayworth is a doll.

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman

Not at all what I thought it would be.

Fantastic Voyage

A bit dull, unfortunately.

Edited by forst

Doesn't that, like, double the number of movies you've seen?

No, I was watching plenty more back in 2007/2008 when I access to TCM.

Moulin Rouge

This was my fourth viewing. It still holds up.

The Lost World (1992)

Terrible, terrible movie. And yet it has a sequel.

Serendipity

Kate Beckinsale is cute but John Cusack just rubs me the wrong way.

Carriers

An interesting movie, with New Kirk aka Chris Pine in a lead role.

Robotech: The Movie

What were they thinking?

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

I actually thought the first one was better. John Connor was incredibly annoying. Every scene with him was painful. I had no idea that Joe Morton, of Syfy's Eureka, played Miles Dyson. That was neat.

Die Hard

Just plain fun.

Red Sonja

Brigitte Nielsen was quite lovely in this. What happened to her?

Superman: The Movie

Boy, this was a disappointment. I remember seeing parts of it, specifically Lois dying, in the past but this was the first time I saw the whole movie. It was the extended version and the length really contributed to my lack of interest. It took forever to get to Clark/Superman as an adult.

Rocky

Sylvester Stallone is a brilliant, brilliant man.

Rocky II

Not quite as good as the first one, but a great sequel.

Rocky III

Nicely finished out the trilogy that is the first three movies in the series.

Conan the Barbarian

Oh my. James Earl Jones was awful in this. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sandahl Bergman saved it, though. She was later in Red Sonja as the bad guy opposite Schwarzenegger and Brigitte Nielsen.

The Talented Mr. Ripley (2003)

Pretty solid adapiton of the Patricia Highsmith novel, with Malkovich doing a very acurate (at least in my mind) portrayal of that cultured psychopath Mr Tom Ripley.

In Theaters:

When in Rome

Not even the wonderful Kristen Bell could save this mess of a movie.

The Crazies (2010)

I saw this because of Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood. Not having seen the original I cannot compare them. It was an okay movie. Not all that scary, though.

Valentine's Day

Even more of a mess than When in Rome.

Kick-Ass

Hilariously violent or violently hilarious?

Iron Man 2

A solid and enjoyable sequel.

On DVD:

Stargate: Continuum

A decent outing, although if it is the final SG-1 story I will be disappointed.

Rocky IV

Rocky V

Not comparable to the first three but enjoyable in their own right.

Blues Brothers

Laugh-out-loud hilarious at times

Ella Enchanted

Believe it or not, the musical scenes actually work, thanks to Anne Hathaway.

Robotech II: The Sentinels

The first three episodes of a proposed sequel series to Robotech that was never produced. Not a very good story, due to the fact that it really does not end, but Rick and Lisa finally get hitched.

Sleepy Hollow

Not a fan of Johnny Depp or this movie.

The Lake House

Confusing at times but interesting.

Mean Girls

Disturbing, outrageous and funny.

Resident Evil

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Resident Evil: Extinction

Michelle Rodriguez co-starred in the first but was surprisingly not terrible. Milla Jovovich truly carries these films. I would have liked to have seen Jill Valentine (Sienna Guillory) return for the third film. The upcoming fourth installment is going to be in 3D, so I have not decided if I will see it in theaters or not.

Orchestra Wives

A nice little film.

Mister Roberts

Did not see the ending coming.

The Philadelphia Story

Not quite as good the second time around.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Better than I thought they would be.

Little Miss Sunshine

Much better than I thought it would be.

Since the last time I posted in this thread I have probably watched three or four dozen movies, mostly through Netflix streaming. The only movie I actually saw in theaters since Iron Man 2 back in May was Predators in July.

Thanks to Netflix Streaming (and one instance of Amazon On Demand) I have now seen all four Jaws movies and all four Revenge of the Nerds movies. In both cases, the first installment was the best, with the second being okay and the last two really, really bad. I cannot decide whether Jaws 3-D (aka Jaws 3) was worse than Jaws: The Revenge (aka Jaws 4). The same goes for Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation and Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love. Both were awful but I cannot decide if one was worse than the other.

Other movies I have seen over the past few months include National Lampoon's Vacation, Earth Girls are Easy, Josie and the Pussycats, Daybreakers, The Hangover, District 9, Conan the Destroyer, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, St. Elmo's Fire, The Breakfast Club and Die Hard with a Vengeance.

I was really disappointed by Daybreakers. The concept was great but the execution horribly flawed and the ending was terrible. Josie and the Pussycats was hilarious and much better than I expected. Conan the Destroyer was likewise not as bad as I expected (although Olivia d'Abo, who I thought was terrific on The Wonder Years, was not very good and had a terrible accent). Underworld: Rise of the Lycans was also better than anticipated. I had held off watching it because Kate Beckinsale was not in it but it turned out to be an enjoyable, if predictable action film. The Hangover was occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. District 9 falls apart a little when you really start to think about it.

Finally, I cannot believe I waited so long to see The Breakfast Club. It was really good. So was St. Elmo's Fire (especially the music) and Fast Times at Ridgemont High (especially Phoebe Cates).

Edited by forst

NausicaƤ of The Valley of the Wind (1984)

For quite some time I was quite wary about watching this film, despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews I'd read. After all, the manga it was based on didn't end until ten years after the movie was released. However, now that I watched the movie, I have to say that it's an amazing work of fiction in it's own right; it's compelling characters, engaging storyline (that manage to have an enviromental message without it feeling forced) and amazing visuals, making it one of the greatest animated movies I've seen.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)

For some reason I thought this was supposed to be a really terrible movie. I actually enjoyed it. Take away some of the more egregious "valley girl" moments, remove Paul Reubens entirely and make the vampires a little more menacing and it would have been great. I think Kristy Swanson did a terrific job as Buffy. She was certainly better than Sarah Michelle Gellar in the first season of the television series (and better looking, too). I would be interested in reading the comic book that adapted Joss Whedon's original script for the movie to see what his vision should have looked like.

I don't know that it was supposed to be terrible, so much as far less popular than the eventual TV series. The only thing that was cool about it was Luke Perry. And Luke Perry was only ever cool in Beverly Hills 90210.

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo (1985)

I knew nothing about this film aside from its awesome title and the fact that, by virtue of the title, it was a sequel. It was bad. It was really, really bad. The music was bad. The dancing was bad. The singing was bad. The dialogue was bad. The clothing was bad.

But Lucinda Dickey was cute.