Sign in to follow this  
SweetOne

Computer Q

I have a HP running on 98se. Yes I know. I'm soooooo far behind. Y'all have probably already forgotten most of what you knew about this version. :(

I'd love to upgrade all my electronics, but my hubby is ahhh... frugal. What I want to know is, what can I do to speed up this ancient dinosaur? If anything. I'm also having other difficulties. In the middle of something I'll get a "illegal operation" message then it goes down. It freezes up all the time. There has to be something I can do. Shoot, I don't even care if it speeds up, if I can just keep it from going down all the time.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like a file might have been corrupted. Is it during any program? It might be a Windows file, and I'm not sure if 98 has a repair feature, but the easiest way to fix this (if it's not a hardware issue) would be to reinstall Windows and reformat your hard drives. You'll want to back up your important files though, which has the added bonus of preparing you for if you have to get a new computer.

Computers have gotten pretty cheap, cheap enough you could probably do better buying a new one and using it for a decade like you have this one. I'm not even sure if you can do much with hardware on a system that old. HP is one of those who used to/still occasionally do use proprietary hardware formats to lock you into buying upgrades through them so it might be impossible to actually do anything more with it.

Thanks! I have a package of CD-RW's and I'll start backing up files. I'll reinstall windows and try to reformat. Wonder if I can find my notes on reformatting. I'll probably make a mess :(:devil: . At least I can say I tried.

I really, really, really want a laptop.

Yeah, reformatting is probably the best option. You may be able to add memory, too, if that kind is still available.

There are several "netbook" computers for under $400 now by MSI, Asus and even Dell, so maybe you could talk hubby into one of those.

Try and find a computer with Linux as the operating system. That way, you don't have to pay for XP or Vista, and then you can delete Linux, and re-install 98se on the new computer. After all you don't want to make too many technological innovations at once. :(

That might be a problem if 98SE isn't capable of running on it. I'm surprised it's made it this long but I wouldn't trust that OS in this day and age with the security threats out there (then again it might be so old no one bothers writing exploits for it either). The better solution would be wait to install Windows 7 although that might be a little too long to wait.

Or become a beta tester and install it now! :(

Or become a beta tester and install it now! :)

How?

I'm sick of my computer. I tried to save my documents to disc and got "access denied". Every time!

Or become a beta tester and install it now! :)

How?

I'm sick of my computer. I tried to save my documents to disc and got "access denied". Every time!

If your computer is running Win 98, it won't be compatible with Windows 7 anyway. :)

As for the 'access denied,' did you have any of those documents open in another program? If you're trying to save a Word document by dragging it to another disk, and at the same time you have that document open in Word, Windows might not let you do that.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Surprisingly enough I didn't have the documents open. I clicked on my documents, right clicked on the document, clicked send to.

I have a strange feeling that windows 7 is going to bomb like vista, I've already heard stories of microsoft ignoring testers when they find something wrong with it... Not to mention M$ plans on adding a bunch of new content after most of the testing.

Althought Windows 7 does have the benefit of being based of vista, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get drivers working on it, like when vista came out... (Nvidia and ATI didnt even have proper video drivers for vista at release.)

/ramble

It's odd you say that as I've heard mostly rave reviews for Windows 7. I have seen it getting mostly positive reviews and nothing like what you're saying.

I rescind my 'bombing' comment, but i still think that Windows 7 will preform poorly on sales to corporatations.... I'm too tired to argue it so one of my sources...

http://www.crn.com/software/214502846

I really do hope that i'm completely wrong and that Windows 7 turns out to be the next best OS. I've just been jaded since i started using vista.

Windows 7 better be a hit, it sort of has to be a success after Vista, they don't really have a choice. Mac's breaking the 10% mark and Linux is within a decade of being user friendly... But I guess Microsoft still has more than a few more years left of wiggle room, at least on the home user market.

Yeah, just look at the flub they made with Internet Explorer. From something like 95% of the market to around 65% I think and still losing ground.

Well I believe the computer has hummed it's last. I turn the poor old thing on and it goes to safe mode. I can get it to restart, but other than that, nothing. I even read the book.

:yeah: I got my dino to roll over. I loaded all my program files and music downloads to disc.

Now, all I have to do is reformat. So ummm, how do I do that? Exactly?