Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Micky Dolenz

Surfin' Safari

Apple's web browser is now available for Windows XP and Vista. I just downloaded the public beta release of Sarfari 3.0. It's supposed to have superior adherence to web standards and faster loading times, but fewer plug-ins. We'll see.

If you're interested, the beta (for Windows or Mac) can be downloaded here.

I've always found that half my web sites don't work properly on safari when I'm forced to use it at school. Is this better adherence to web standards a new thing or something?

Is it new with this version of Safari? I don't know. I know Opera has touted their adherence to the standards for some time now. If the sites you've been visiting don't end up rendering properly, they're probably using a technology or structure that isn't compliant with the standards.

I'm not sure what version they had installed on the school computers. I just know that there were way too many of my regular sites not working to make it worthwhile to even bother trying Safari. I'm pretty sure both my email and Facebook didn't work properly among other sites.

I would be surprised if many developers bother with strict adherence to the standards. Since the most used Web brower - IE - doesn't render anything properly, it would be a lot of potentially wasted effort.

That's what I always found confusing about web standards. I just didn't make sense to me the the most common browser wasn't compliant with the standards. So if I were designing a site I wouldn't care about them either since most people wouldn't get the benefit of them. Why wouldn't the most common browser be the standard?

Because it would allow them a monopoly or control over industry standards, or something like that. Yes, ignoring them really helped prevent that. :yeah: The W3C doesn't seem to have any kind of enforcing power or real way to control web standards beyond the very core basics anyways.