Sign in to follow this  
JRL3001

StarCraft II

Aw yeah. Too bad it will probably not run on any of the computers I have access to! StarCraft is my favorite game of all time, easily surpassing Command & Conquer. But I must say, I would have preferred the same graphics and units of the original. These new ones look ... wrong, somehow.

Aw yeah. Too bad it will probably not run on any of the computers I have access to!

Why not? What are the system requirements?

Aw yeah. Too bad it will probably not run on any of the computers I have access to!

Probably your second born and at least one limb.

Probably your second born and at least one limb.

I don't have any kids. Does that mean I will have to surrender more limbs?

looks good. the only problem i have is that from what I saw the zerg look more like insects and less like the creatures from Alien. I prefer the latter.

from what i saw of the gameplay trailer (mind you this is a pre-alpha) it seems like most of the Terran side has remained the same from the first starcraft. Whereas the Protoss have (one) unit that is the same from the first SC that we've seen. (being the Zealot). I just hope they get around to adding new stuff to all the sides (terrans are my fav if you didnt know)

terrans are the best, I agree totally. i love having a bunker full of marines shooting it out against a swarm of zerglings. it reminds me of Starship Troopers. Love that! Gimmie sumthin to shootl! :devil:

I'm also wondering about that pylon-power warp-in-guys ability of the protoss, from what we saw on the demo the units seemed to warp in in mere seconds after being purchased. Im hoping that was because of a speed cheat (ala 'operation cwal') to speed up the demo and show off new features, otherwise that would be extremely unbalanced imo.

i saw that too, and my guess is that it really was a beam in. i suppose it could unbalance the game unless they put limitations on it like (1) only certain units can do it (2) or it is prohibitively expensive making it useful for only small unit hit and runs, not large scale invasions.. (3) they would have to open the use of this technology up to all 3 races (or more if there are more races in this version) to make it fair I think.

As long as the bulk of the assault must come from outside rather than from within, then it should be OK. Otherwise what would be the point of setting up a front with bunkers and turrets etc. having a front-line is part of the attraction to this game for me.

It has been announced -- and some controversy has arisen -- that the single player campaign will be split into a trilogy. As in, three separate games. Meaning three separate purchases. Read about it here and here at Kotaku.

Thoughts? I for one am not thrilled with the idea of having to buy three different games to get what is, in a sense, one game.

They're trying to spin it as more like three different but connected games instead of the fact it's one game split into three expansions. All the better to charge you three times the amount. It's a precedent I don't see going over well with the gaming populace but I doubt there will be enough resistence to it to stop the practice from continuing.

Nothing new to report in terms of a release date or even a Beta release date but here is a FAQ from Blizzard about the trilogy:

What is the StarCraft II Trilogy?

The StarCraft II Trilogy consists of the base StarCraft II game and two subsequent expansion sets. StarCraft II is subtitled Wings of Liberty (working title) and will include a lengthy single-player campaign that focuses on the terrans and puts players in the role of Jim Raynor, one of the series? main heroes. The first expansion set, Heart of the Swarm (working title), will follow later and include a single-player campaign focusing on the zerg and Kerrigan, Queen of Blades. The second expansion set, Legacy of the Void (working title), will continue the story experience with a single-player campaign centered on the protoss.

Will we still be able to play multiplayer matches of StarCraft II with all three races?

Yes! From the beginning, StarCraft II will be a fully featured multiplayer game, and all three races will be available for competitive play.

How will the expansion sets impact multiplayer gameplay?

The expansion sets will add new content to each race for use in multiplayer matches. This could include additions such as new units, abilities, and structures, along with new maps and Battle.net updates.

If I buy StarCraft II but don?t buy any of the expansion sets, will I still be able to play online?

Yes. This will work similarly to Warcraft III and the original StarCraft, which maintained separate online gaming lobbies and ladders for expansion set players and players with the base Warcraft III or StarCraft.

How long is each of the campaigns?

StarCraft II?s terran campaign will consist of approximately 26 to 30 missions, and each expansion set will include a similar number of missions. This means that the complete StarCraft II Trilogy will include as many as 90 single-player missions. This allows us to create a truly epic story experience with a great variety of unique missions and gameplay types.

Why did you decide to release each race?s campaign separately?

We?re aiming to push the boundaries of storytelling and character development in RTS games through the unique single-player campaign design of StarCraft II. Players will be able to choose their mission path and technology upgrades for their army as they advance through the campaign. In order to make these choices meaningful while creating an epic story and well-developed characters for each faction, we needed to focus on a single race for a large number of missions.

The Trilogy also allows us to create more in-game and prerendered cinematics to tell the story in between missions. There will be more interactive sets and elements for players to explore during each campaign, along with other interesting design elements to differentiate the single-player game from multiplayer matches. For example, the technology choices within the terran single-player campaign will include special upgrades and unit types that are unique to the single-player game. These could include the ability to purchase classic units such as the wraith or firebat to add to Jim Raynor?s army.

Are these three separate games? How much will all of these games cost?

The StarCraft II Trilogy will consist of the base StarCraft II game and two expansion sets. Pricing on these games hasn?t been determined at this early stage; however, we?ve always charged an appropriate price for the content the player receives, and we will continue to release high-quality games that offer great value.

How long will it take to ship each expansion set in the Trilogy?

We?re still focused on developing the base StarCraft II game, and all the content associated with the terran campaign, including the missions, cinematic cutscenes, and interactive sets. It?s too early to provide an estimate on how long it will take to develop each of the expansion sets in the trilogy, but as always, we will take as much time as is needed to create the best possible gaming experience with each expansion set.

Being able to play all three races in multiplayer even with just the base SCII game is good news. That way, if a player decides not to buy the two expansions they can still play online and, presumably, in skirmishes. I am still not sold on the idea of the Zerg and Protoss campaigns coming in expansions. And the reasoning given in the FAQ, "pushing the boundaries" and an "epic story" and focusing "on a single race for a large number of missions" is stupid.

Closed beta testing started last month. Anyone get a beta key? Anyone care enough to try to get a beta key? I am still not sold on the new graphics nor the idea of having to buy three full games to get the entire experience.

A friend of mine brought his laptop over and let me play StarCraft II for a while. I played the first single player mission, which of course was super easy, and two games against the computer. In the first game I was Protoss and easily won, having set the AI to easy. For the second game I initially played as Zerg against two AI players and was quickly killed. I restarted against one AI player and won. The gameplay was basically the same as StarCraft. There were more options for upgrading based on what little I played.

The graphics, though, are too cartoony for my tastes. My friend said it took some getting used to and I supposed I would eventually stop noticing. If my computer could run the game I might think about buying it.

I absolutely love it. The story (from how far I've got so far) is very interesting and really builds on the past. I don't mind the graphics but I've been playing WoW for over 5 years now so I'm used to the cartoony look.

But gameplay is almost just like the first one, not much more of a learning curve.

Have you had any problems with the single player campaign when not connected to the Internet? Supposedly you are supposed to be able to play without an Internet connection as long as you verify through the Internet once every 30 days but I read at the official StarCraft II forums that a lot of people were having problems.

A few months ago I finally got the chance to really sit down and play StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, thanks to the StarCraft II: Starter Edition that Blizzard released in August of 2011. It took forever to download on my 1.3 Mbps connection and my computer can just barely handle the heavy graphics, but I was able to get through the first four missions from the single-player campaign and the first two "challenges." Frustratingly, the Starter Edition restricts you to the Terran race in custom games versus the AI and you can only play against the AI on the Very Easy and Easy levels (or whatever the easiest two levels are), which is no fun because it is far too to easy to win.

Still, if I ever get a better computer and the price of the full version drops a bit, I will no doubt pick it up. It did not come close to topping StarCraft or Brood War but that was never going to happen.