Sign in to follow this  
Helburn

Google

Just recently Google Inc. Bought Youtube.com for several million dollars, expanding itself into the free video services, as well as announcing that they will be providing a free Word-esque Document and spredsheet program that you can access from the internet without having to have the program installed on your computer (essentially you'd be able to use it anywhere in the world that has an internet connection)

So, what do you think? Will Google One day surpass even Microsoft in consumers...Or will it collapse in on itself like anything big and free does.

I don't know. Unlike past free providers, Google has a solid revenue service via their advertisements and banners and are unlike virtually everyone else in the advertisement game, good at making them unobtrusive yet effective. They might suceed or they might go pay service or they could just fail.

I have some serious issues with YouTube so I am not a fan of this latest high profile acquisition by Google. I think the company is expanding too far, too fast. But the only real complaints I know of against Google are its various issues with privacy and copyright. Be it Gmail, Google News, the book scanning project, and now YouTube, Google seems to be fine with walking the line between fair use and copyright infringement.

Google seems to be fine with walking the line between fair use and copyright infringement

And occasionally dropping of it and ending up being sued AND convicted for copyright infringement.

The question remains wether this acquisistion of You Tube might not turn out to be an other internet bubble... it's not because it's now a highly succesful item that it'll remain that way because in a few months a new "hype" might turn up and then Google might have spend a lot of money for something that's an empty box...

Google has now acquired a role in the operating system realm via Android:

Android is a Linux-based operating system that was originally designed for cell phones. The operating system is currently available on only one phone, T-Mobile's G1 made by HTC. In February, HTC also announced it will offer Android on another phone called the HTC Magic. Several other handset makers, including Samsung and Motorola, have also promised Android-based phones.

But now experts are predicting that the open-source operating system could be used on other devices, such as the emerging low-cost laptops known as Netbooks. In fact, market research firm Ovum recently predicted that Android-powered Netbooks will emerge in 2009, as manufacturers attempt to drive the price of Netbooks to around $200 or less.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10208594-94.html

As you recall, Android was developed by Google and made its grand debut last year in the T-Mobile G1. The operating system is powerful enough to run on a notebook, however, so it will be interesting to see Android utilized to its fullest potential.

http://www.slashgear.com/odm-compal-making...etbook-0640224/

Edited by Ducane

I've heard murmurs about android, I dont have a data phone but if i did, i might be willing to try it. especially if it's anything like chrome, where each page is it's own task and is independant of other pages and wont crash if another page does (get the picture lol)

Edited by Helburn