Sign in to follow this  
BifBuff

Search Flood Control

I came online just now to find 18 people on the site which I was pretty impressed with until I tried to click on "Today's Active Topics". Every time I click I get a search flood control message telling me to wait 20 seconds and try again. Is this just a side effect of having people on the board or is there a way to make it go away? I've been trying for a while now and wasn't sure if maybe it was just me.

:( I just want to read the new posts. ;)

Edited by BifBuff

It worked fine for me a moment ago. I am having some trouble with cookies and the board; no matter what I do I cannot mark all posts read.

Hmm, I don't know if it's the same thing but since I couldn't look for new posts the way I normally I was going through the forums just by looking at the main page and I noticed all the forums say that they have new posts even though they don't.

I've tried using a few other features on the board and gotten more of that flood control message and I 've gone and come back a few times so it's definitely been 20 seconds. I don't get it. ;)

Edit: Another thing I've noticed while browsing in this manner is that a lot of posts are dated tomorrow. My time seems right and I know these people are in nearby timezones where it's still today. Is that affected by the timezone I have inputted or the one they have inputted?

Edited by BifBuff

Edit: Another thing I've noticed while browsing in this manner is that a lot of posts are dated tomorrow. My time seems right and I know these people are in nearby timezones where it's still today. Is that affected by the timezone I have inputted or the one they have inputted?

I am seeing that too. Something seems amiss.

Well I'm pretty sure the search flood thing isn't because of the amount of people cause there's only two of us here signed in and I'm still getting the message. It's getting frustrating, but I haven't got a clue how to fix such a thing. ;)

I just realized the reason marking as read won't work is the board is thinking it's several hours ahead of the actual time so it won't sync right. All the "new posts" aren't being properly marked as read since that time hasn't occured yet (so the board thinks they are still new). I remember this happening before sometimes a few years ago with message boards but I don't know why it is happening now.

Occasionally, the server's clock is wrong. It's nothing under our control. I would guess that the clock setting was causing the problems, because both the "mark all posts read" and "new posts" functions seem to be working now (and the clock is correct, too).

And the search function is working again! ;)

No, that was just regular old time travel.

Question: In the past when I closed firefox or IE and then later opened it again and visited the OL all the posts I hadn't read before closing firefox or IE would be marked as read. Which was fine by me cos I don't read all the topics and when opening firefox I would see all the new posts.

However now all the posts I haven't read stay as new posts until I use the mark all posts as read option, it makes surfing the forum a bit more difficult than before, but I can live with.

Nevertheless maybe some of TPTB know a way to solve that little issue ;)

I have no answers for you on that one. I checked my controls, thinking there might be a setting you unchecked or something, but no luck.