Sign in to follow this  
Will the Great

ATTN: TNG Gurus

A friend of mine is convinced that Klingon cloaking devices were superior to Romulan ones during the TNG era. I know he's wrong, but I can't summon any canon to support my case.

It is, of course, a trivial matter, but nevertheless I need help in my search! The fate of a Star Trek-themed mod is at stake!

There's no data to suggest either one of you are right. The closest you might get is that they used a Romulan cloak for the Defiant, but that's it.

Isn't there a line in "Unification" about Romulan cloaks being superior?

Although, the evidence would seem to suggest that Federation-built cloaking devices are actually the best. At least, they were the only ones to build a phase cloak that actually worked...

As the Romulans devised them (and had them in Balance of Terror) and the Klingons stole them.....

Romulan technology first. Everyone else trying to catch up.

and the Klingons stole them.....

To the best of my knowledge, it's never really been explained how the Klingons got ahold of cloaking technology. Fanon holds that they got it in exchange for the Klingon-style ships we see the Romulans using, starting in "The Enterprise Incident", but there's no canon info that I'm aware of.

One could postulate that as Klingons hold scientists in low regard and that the Romulans were the original inventors, the Romulans have a better claim at holding the better cloaking device. Yet there are several arguments which point to no clear advantage...

On the one hand during the events established by TUC, by 2293 the Klingons apparently had managed to create a cloak through which one could fire without decloaking, the technology and knowledge was lost when Chang's bird of prey was destroyed by the USS Enterprise and the USS Excelsior, yet it'll took the Romulans/Remans until 2379 to create a similar technology with the Scimitar. That technology - more advanced than the earlier Klingon fire while cloaking technology, as it was able to fire through cloak and raised shields while at the same time not giving off any tachyon emissions or residual antiprotons, making the Scimitar completely undetectable while cloaked - was destroyed during the Battle of the Bassen Rift. Wether the knowledge itself was lost as well remains the question.

An other argument is that the Federation and Romulans were both experimenting with an interphase cloaking devices, the Federation even to be extremely successful (USS Pegasus), the Romulans mildly. The Klingon Empire attempted to develop their own interphase generator technology. However, the development never got out of its preliminary stages due to several accidents. (TNG: "The Next Phase")

On the one hand during the events established by TUC, by 2293 the Klingons apparently had managed to create a cloak through which one could fire without decloaking

The implication from TUC is that that cloak was a joint effort by the Klingons, Romulans, and the Federation. If the Klingons had really developed it themselves, all their ships would have been equipped with such cloaks, but they clearly weren't.

It was established, I believe, that the BoP was still an experimental vessel, a secret prototype only very few knew the existence of. With its destruction almost all who knew, including all the scientists and the plans were lost.

But given the Romulans involvement in the plot to disturb the Khitomir meeting, you could very well be right about possible Romulan involvement with the development of the device.

With its destruction almost all who knew, including all the scientists and the plans were lost.

Where did you get that from?

It was a Klingon chrono deflector, a device built to manipulate the spacetime continuum but due to its emissions of tachyon radiation lethal to anyone who hadn't been inoculated with chronexaline..

With its destruction almost all who knew, including all the scientists and the plans were lost.

Where did you get that from?

It was quoted on the ship's card from the Star Trek CCG.