Sign in to follow this  
Will the Great

Ambassadors Returns

...or it will, anyway. Hopefully.

I realize that, paradoxical though it may be, summer is a slow period for the Lounge. So the purpose of this topic is not to actually start the next installment of Ambassadors, but to answer questions and see who's interested, either in playing or helping come up with a plot. If interest is sufficient, we may see the next Ambassadors game early in the fall.

With regards to coming up with a plot, it ain't a one-man job. I have a handful of concepts, but I'm going to need one, maybe two people to help me work them into something usable.

So who's interested in giving this a go?

Judging interest in an idea is difficult when people read my topic and don't respond.

In interest gauges such as these, the idea is that people will post to say "I'm interested" or "I'm not interested" as the case may be. Reading the topic and not replying does not help me in any way.

Look, this is becoming aggrivating. There's about ten new views since my last post, so I know people are reading this topic. But it escape me as to why you guy aren't even saying "not interested". What's the deal? Do you just not care? Because that warrents a response too.

This is not helping me. How can I judge whether a retake on Ambassadors would be well-recieved if people don't have the decency to say "interested" or "not interested"? That's all I'm asking, one or two words. It's really not that hard.

So I'll say this once again: I am trying to gauge interest, and gauging interest requires that people say something. I'll resort to mass-PMs if I have to, but I will find some way of seeing who's interested.

What's Ambassadors?

Will, people not responding most surely equates to "not interested"... After all, only those interested are most likely to respond.

Edited by fdewaele

Will, people not responding most surely equates to "not interested"... After all, only those interested are most likely to respond.

Like when people don't vote? :lol:

Well this is my first time looking at this thread, but i don't think i'd be interested. I prefer to sit back and watch instead. :D

IIRC Ambassadors was a game where you would play a character from a galactic power and engage in 'debates'. Great Will will probably explain it better. :D

Edited by Harry Kim

Indeed.

Ambassadors was a play-by-post RPG on the old Observation Lounge, where you played as a starship captain for one of the Trek empires. Objectives of the game varied between incarnations, but inevitably placed an emphasis on combat.

For this installment, my intent is to capture the "essence of Trek". Starship battles, while important, will be less crucial to the game. Instead, while there will always be a few large goals, achieving these can be approached in most any manner. As I don't have much of the story worked out yet, I'm afraid I can't say anything more.

Fred, as to people not responding equating to "not interested", it doesn't work that way. This topic has some thirty-odd views at the moment. Does that mean that thirty people are not interested, or that three people not interested have viewed the topic ten times?

Dude...I think the time for this sort of thing, on this board, has passed. In the game's heyday, a ton of people were writing and reading and responding to fan fic. That trailed off years ago. The last attempt at the game fizzled out. That you're not getting responses means that there's probably no interest, or at least, not enough of it, by any means. Go ahead and write something yourself, and people will read that, but don't expect to play this game. It may be harsh, but it's reality.

if you could get one going i'd play. however, i remember the endless false starts of the last time this board tried to play ambassadors and i'm not getting my hopes up. we seem to have far fewer active members now than we did then.

i haven't done an exhaustive study, but i think the number of active members is quite a bit lower than a few years ago. further, i think some of the members who are active aren't as active as they were. perhaps i am wrong and this is not the case, but it certainly seems that way to me.

this site used to offer several things that it no longer can support due to lack of members and/or interest. i don't think there's any blame here, rather i think it's the natural outcome since trek is not currently making shows plus the natural lull that summer brings.