Sign in to follow this  
Teelie

Looks like Israel might be going to war with Lebanon...

I don't think Isreal could risk ignoring it.

Actually Israel has a history of ignoring Security Council resolutions when it suits them... If they thought that going on a couple of more weeks or months would suit their "cause", they wouldn't hesitate... regardless what the UN said or did... and all would be whitewashed by the USA which would further protect the Israelis diplomatically by its veto.

Agreed, Israel is only going along with it because it's the only way out without losing face. Otherwise they would have kept on fighting.

They have been fighting for more than a month and quite frankly they haven't dented the Hezbollah in the slightest (rockets are still hitting Israel).

True, though I don't know how Isreal expected to make a dent in such a short period of time. I mean, allegedly, Hezbollah has over 32,000 rockets... tracking them down would be a chore for several months work, let alone 3 weeks.

True, though I don't know how Isreal expected to make a dent in such a short period of time. I mean, allegedly, Hezbollah has over 32,000 rockets... tracking them down would be a chore for several months work, let alone 3 weeks.

I think it's clear Israel overestimated their own capability and underestimated the Hezbollah's resilience...

To me, Israel acquiesence with the resolution kinda looks like declaring victory and going home...

BTW Bush declared it to be a huge defeat for Hezbollah... :rolleyes: He probably thinks Iraq's a huge success story as well... :rolleyes:

I think it's clear Israel overestimated their own capability and underestimated the Hezbollah's resilience...

Well, if the reports of Iranian Revolutionary Guard units having been involved on Hezbollah's side are true then it's not surprising that Israel would have met stiffer resistance than expected.

I also think the extent to which the common people of Lebanon supported Hezbollah came as a surprise.

I also think the extent to which the common people of Lebanon supported Hezbollah came as a surprise.

Not to me. After all, Hezbollah used the same successful recipe as Hamas in the Palestinian territories: they might be a terrorist organization but they also provide education and health services. And by providing these more humanitarian services, they get the gratitude and support of the common people. And secondly, in times of war, people tend to set aside their internal differences and unite against the common external enemy. And thirdly, opposition against Israel is still a popular cause in the Middle East.