Sign in to follow this  
The Olympic Game

What with the interesting Olympics, otherwise known as the Winter Olympics, having started yesterday, I think, I thought it would be nice to do something to commemorate them. I also thought it might be a good way to keep people distracted from the trivia game that I still haven't gotten around to starting (or at least it would have been, before I mentioned that...FYI, I'm looking into revamping the whole system, so it might actually happen someday).

Anyway, this isn't terribly creative - in fact I'm not sure it hasn't been done here before. But basically, if you want to 'play' what you have to do is predict how each country will do this year, relative to their performance in the 2002 Winter Olympics.

What you need to do is download this Excel file and fill it in, then e-mail it to me. If you don't have Excel, I'll have to work out some alternate arrangements. Also, before sending me your predictions, rename the file to your OL username, so that I can tell what came from whom.

Anyway, for each country, indicate in the appropriate cell (you shouldn't have any trouble figuring it out, there are only so many cells you can even change) if you think the nation will do better, worse, or the same as in 2002 for each medal type (gold, silver, and bronze). I don't care how you indicate it, so long as it's clear what you mean. Let me repeat, you don't have to guess how many medals, just if it will be more or less than in 2002.

For example:

You start with this

one.JPG

And you might end up with something like this

two.JPG

For each successful prediction (that is, each medal type for each country) you will receive one point.

Finally, as an added twist, everyone should pick one nation as their 'Favoured Country'. If you correctly predict the results for each medal for this nation, you will be given 10 bonus points.

I don't know what kind of prize will be up for grabs yet, aside from bragging rights (such as they are), since I only came up with the idea about 3 hours ago while I was getting pizza, and haven't had a chance to discuss it with the rest of the staff. So stay tuned for further information.

I'll be taking submissions until next Friday (February 17) at noon Eastern.

Edited by Karma

if you think the nation will do better or worse

Just better or worse, can i put 'no change'? Because it's likely some countries won't do better or worse then their last performance. And a lot of countries there have zero medals, so i can't put that they would do worse, i mean that would be minus medals. :drunk-klingon:

You can.

Just better or worse, can i put 'no change'? Because it's likely some countries won't do better or worse then their last performance. And a lot of countries there have zero medals, so i can't put that they would do worse, i mean that would be minus medals. :drunk-klingon:

That makes sense.

Edited by Karma

the olympics have started? I watch too much cable. I need to check out the networks. I love the winter olympics!

I haven't looked at the results, but only two people entered, so, you could guess and you'd have a 50-50 chance of being right.