Sign in to follow this  
Stealing Fred's Thunder

I first started this list, along with a list of top TV shows that's still in progress, several months ago, back while I was working on my list of top movies. I stopped, however, because it was too hard to pick just 100 songs. Now that Fred's started his list, he inspired me to finish mine. I still wasn't able to keep it to just 100 entries, but I figure 150 is better than the 270 the list peaked at. :D

Needless to say, my list differs significantly from Fred's. To this point, I don't believe there is any overlap between our lists. In fact, when all is said and done, with one exception, I don't believe there will be any at all. There are a few songs on my list that conceivably might find their way onto Fred's list, but I really don't think they will. The disparity is, no doubt, due to our different geographical locations and our different tastes.

In compiling this list, I chose to concentrate exclusively on so called 'popular' music, to the exclusion of classical music. If I hadn't, half the list probably would have been made up of classical songs and Christmas carols. That said, there are two songs that prove to be an exception to that rule, I trust you'll be able to see them when they show up.

So, without further adieu...

150. Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me

149. The Catherine Wheel - Balloon

148. Matthew Good Band - Rico

147. Collective Soul - Heavy

146. Metallica - Enter Sandman

145. Our Lady Peace - Starseed

144. The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

143. Stereophonics - A Thousand Trees

142. Travis - Why Does it Always Rain on Me?

141. Modest Mouse - Float On

Edited by Karma

150. Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me

Unedited version, I hope.

I have heard of a few of the artists/groups, but very few of the actual songs in question.

It's almost like these song threads need MP3 clips. They're harder to identify with...

Time for another installment of songs no one's ever heard of. :D

140. Megadeth - Wanderlust

139. Third Eye Blind - Jumper

138. The Tragically Hip - Fifty Mission Cap

137. Stone Temple Pilots - Lady Picture Show

136. Stompin' Tom Connors - The Hockey Song

135. The Proclaimers - I Would Walk 500 Miles

134. The Verve Pipe - Freshmen

133. Seal - Kiss from a Rose

132. Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself

131. Shania Twain - It Only Hurts when I Breathe

Edited by Karma

Time for another installment of songs no one's ever heard of. :D

Not quite. Hasn't every Canadian heard Stompin' Tom Connors' The Hockey Song (over and over and over again). :D

I also recognise "I Would Walk 500 Miles". Curious that I can't place the Shania Twain song. :D

The others aren't familiar.

Curious that I can't place the Shania Twain song. :D

It's her most recent song, or at least the most recent one that I've heard, but I don't listen to a lot of radio these days. I think it might be off her 'Best of' compilation.

It's her most recent song...

Well, that explains it. It hasn't been played often enough, yet, for me to come across it.

I think it's more likely that I have different tastes from you and Kor.

You should have included the Christmas carols. :D

That's a given but it's still obscure nonetheless :D :D

Not really. I guarantee that if, say, Morbo came in here, he'd know 95% of these songs.

Well, out of your first 20 Karma, I've heard of 6 and like 4 (one of which I only know because it's NY Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera's theme song ;)). Hopefully I'll do better next time......

Which one is that?

So, it's a Canuck thing? ;):D

At this point that's probably true, though Kor is Canadian as well, and actually lives closer to me than Morbo. But in general, I think it will be more of a North American thing.

Edited by Karma

"It Only Hurts When I Breathe" was off Shania's Up! album. Her latest release is called "Don't," which is off her Greatest Hits album.

Anyway, I have heard of seven of the artists on your list, and I have actually heard four of the songs. "The Freshmen" is an incredible song, simply incredible. "I Would Walk 500 Miles" is one of those songs that everyone should know and love. "Kiss from a Rose" is the only Seal song I know, because of its connection with Bats, and it is alright. "It Only Hurts When I Breathe" is one of Shania's better ballads, I think.

So, it's a Canuck thing? ;):D

I was right, it's a North American thing. I did some counting, of the 150 songs on the list, 107.5 (I'll explain the .5 in a moment) are by North American artists. Specifically, 65 songs by American artists (51 in total) and 42 bu Canadian artists (34 in total). The 0.5 comes from a group that has both North American (both American and Canadian) and European members. There's also one I'm not sure about, though I assume it's American, so we'll make it 108.5.

That said, here's today's batch:

130. The Tragically Hip - New Orleans is Sinking

129. Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

128. The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy

127. Muse - Hysteria

126. Feeder - High

125. The Verve - Lucky Man

124. The Flys - Got You Where I Want You

123. Pearl Jam - Better Man

122. Juice Newton - Angel of the Morning

121. Great Big Sea - Consequence Free

Edited by Karma

6 out of 10 this time ;) - one of my friends is a Great Big Sea fan, so that accounts for one and there are a couple of UK groups on there also....